19th April 2014
1) A real cracker of a TV programme for this Easter weekend – Saturday on BBC2 – ‘How The Foundling Hospital helped save The Messiah’. Also a great article on this and the charitable power of The Messiah in general, in this week’s Big Issue.
2) New video piece from the excellent Kirby Ferguson series –Everything is a Remix – The Rise of the Patent Troll
3) Infographic – Don Draper’s Moments of Marketing Wisdom
4) Beautiful video – The Weight of Mountains – how mountains are built and destroyed ( HT @neilperkin )
5) Amazon launches Fire TV ( up against Apple TV among others ) and with this in mind an interesting piece on The Future of TV ( from Black Box Strategy ) – ‘ I still give Apple the clear lead. Airplay remains very compelling both from a technical and business model perspective; Amazon has the business model, while it’s more difficult to see the long term upside for Google or Roku, and Microsoft is stuck in its niche.’
6) From @contagious – A glimpse into the future of Branded Content Marketing
7) Delightful and definitely worth delving into – The Periodic Table of Storytelling
8) What can the origins of the BBC tells us about the Future? It’s first director general, John Reith, said that the BBC should be the citizen’s ‘guide, philosopher and friend’. Also from the article : “Broadcasting…. is in its infancy; it is comparable to the rudest scratchings on the cave-man’s dark walls, to the guttural sounds which served the first homo sapiens for speech.”
9) My money is on you…… Can you beat 400 people at US Geography ?
10) Back in the day, we thought it was pretty cool. Not so anymore – Here are some kids reactions to a Walkman.